Wednesday 24 July , 2019


Frequently Asked Questions

Don’t ask questions that already have an answer

How can I contact SASSA?
SASSA is open all year round (except on public holidays), from Monday to Thursday 9 AM-1 PM/ 3 PM-6 PM, Friday 9 AM- 1 PM.

When should I contact SASSA?
You can apply for a place in our residences from mid May 2018, to June 30th 2018 if your stay in Padova starts in the fall semester, or if your Erasmus period is established for the whole academic year. If your stay in Padova starts on the second semester, your deadline is on November 15th 2018. Send us the form that you can find on our website!

What do I have to do to use the SASSA service?
You have to fill in the Accommodation Form and send it via Internet.

What is the Accommodation Form and what’s it for?
The Accommodation Form is a document with blanks that we request you to fill in and send if you want to get our help in finding a room in Padova. Furthermore, sending the Accommodation form is compulsory for all the exchange students, because we use it to complete the necessary enrollment procedures. In case you have not filled and sent it yet, you need to  come back only after you have filled and sent it.

Who gives us the room keys?
If you have a place in one of the ESU establishments the key can be collected on arrival directly at the caretaker's lodge or from the manager. If you have a place in a private apartment the keys are given by the landlord/lady or by the students who offer the place.

When can I get the keys?
Only after the signature of the assignation papers at SASSA Service, the keys are collected in the Residence. If you are staying in a private apartment you should make arrangements with the landlord.

What’s the best way to get around Padova?
Padova is quite a small town so most students have a bike. Otherwise you can use the bus service.

How far is student accommodation from the centre and the University?
Apart from Agripolis (faculties of Agriculture, Forestry and Veterinary Science) which is located 9 km far from the city centre, the faculties are in the centre or just outside the walls. There is no university campus so all accommodation is in town. You shouldn’t be more than 20/25 minutes away from university by bike.

How long does it take to find a house?
Since your arrival in padova, it will take at least 2-3 working days to find a place in a private house. We reccomend to start the research well ahead you arrival, in order to have more chances to find a room.

Where should I go when I arrive in Padova?
You should go first to the SASSA office where you’ll be given instructions. If you’ve already got a place to stay or you don’t want to use our service you should come here anyway to find out how to register.

Can I choose a room in a ESU Residence (single or double)?
No, you can only indicate your preference. The number of available places and in particular the single rooms are less than the demand. You will know what type of room you have obtained at the moment of allocation (publication on the web and the letter of allocation).

Can I choose which ESU Residence to stay in?
No, but also here you can indicate a preference. In any case the places are allocated by SASSA according to the indicated arrival and departure dates and according to the residences in which places are made available for international exchange students. On the whole, we try to respect the expressed preferences.

What happens if I want to give up a place in a ESU Residence?
In case of cancellation of your stay in Padua after having paid the deposit, it will only be reimbursed in serious and attested cases (illness, accidents, etc.) and with written notification at least 15 days before arrival. On the contrary the deposit is held as compensation. If cancellation would occur after arrival in Padua, also a one month rent will be requested in addition to the loss of the deposit.

Can I see the room before I accept the place?
In a private apartment you can see the room first. You can only see your room in the residence after getting the keys.

Can I change the room once I’ve accepted it?
It’s not that easy. You can only do so after another person has been found (concerning the private apartment). In ESU Residence it is not possible to change the assigned room.

What should I bring with me?
You will find in your bedroom blankets, bed cover and mattress cover. You need to bring sheets, pillow and towels with you. Kitchen stuff is not provided in our residences; if you are in private apartment you need to contact your landlord.

How does internet work in the ESU residences?

Internet connection in ESU residences is provided by Fastweb, NOT BY esu.  Wireless connection is available in all the common areas of the residences; to connect in your bedroom you need a LAN cable. The first time you connect in our residences you are requested to register to the provider home page. How to register

Who can I turn to if I have a problem?
For any problem concerning accommodation you can contact us. We will do everything possible to help. For academic problems you should contact the International Office in Padova (let us know if you have problems though, as we can always give you some advice).

What differences will I find between my country and Padova?
If you’ve chosen to come to Padova you’ll have to get used to its good and bad points. It’s not a campus university and it’s got 60,000 students. You’re not in England, France, Spain or Germany so try to avoid saying "but in Germany it’s like this….", "in France we have this…." etc. You’ll certainly find yourselves in a different environment. If you know how to get round any initial problems you’ll have a great stay. Remember that there’s an office here to help you.

When can I have access to my room?
From the date indicated in the accommodation offer for a ESU Residence place, and from the date agreed with the landlord of a private apartment.

How is rent paid?
For ESU accommodation you have two options: MyPay, a certified online payment; or with a Credit/Debit card. Cash will not be accepted. For private apartments it depends on the landlord though you are usually asked to pay in cash or into a bank account.

Why do I have to pay a deposit?
It’s required to confirm acceptance of a place , to cover for any damage and as a guarantee of correct behaviour. In a private apartment you are usually asked for two or three months rent, in a ESU Residence it’s 350 €.

What languages are spoken in the SASSA office?
Italian, English and Spanish.

Can I have my address in Padova before I get there?
If you have been assigned a room in the residences, you will be communicated the name of the residence (and the address) in the accomodation offer. If you stay in a private flat, you can only get the address when you arrive in Padova, unless you found a room before your arrival. In this case, you will have to ask to the landlord/landlady or flatmates.

Who will I find in the SASSA office?
You’ll find enthusiastic young people. We’ll try to do everything to help you, not just with your house-hunting.

What’s the difference between the Accommodation Form and the Learning Agreement or other documents?
To use the SASSA service you have to fill in the Accommodation Form that you can find on Internet. There’s no point in sending your university’s Application Form, learning agreement or other documents. These documents should be sent to our administrative offices (you can find the full list of contact address at

Which documents should I bring with me?
An identity document valid for your full period of stay in Italy (non EU students should have a study visa for stays shorter than three months); European Health Insurance Card or a letter from any private insurance company with policy dates (with certified translation for non EU students) and a letter from your university (not the contract) as proof of your Erasmus status. Non EU students who ask for the permission of staying need to bring 4 identical passport sized photos.